-->

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

No

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Copyright © 2014 Learning and Exploring Through Play - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Sensory Custard Play



Custard - what an awesome texture to explore! It smells Divine! It feels slimy and was lovely and warm!
Perfect for children of all ages too, however be sure to check for any allergies first.

You will need:
- Container
- Custard
- Boiling hot water (to make the custard but test the temperature before little ones have access to it. Don't be tempted to use cold water as the custard doesn't come together right)
- Spoons
- Bowls
- Jugs
- Messy Mat/Newspaper  (I used newspaper just so I could throw it all away afterwards)

Our Experience:

I selected a variety of utencils for play today. I took into account different colours, textures and materials whilst selecting them.


I then prepared the custard and left it to cool. It didn't take long to cool as the surface area of the box was quite large. I needed several packets of custard for today's play. When I repeat this activity in the future however I will use more to get a thicker consistency.


I then placed news paper over the surface area. I decided to use newspaper just so I could dispose of it all afterwards - just saving on cleaning up time more than anything (yes I did cut corners doing this but ssssshhh). I then set up the invitation to play - and here is what it looked like.


I put Little N in old clothes for this activity and its a good job I did as the custard surprisingly stained. 
I didn't want her to be restricted by an apron so didn't put one on for this activity. 

She came bounding in the room like a bull at a gate "WOWWW!" she said.
Like always there was no reluctance what so ever - she sat down by the box selected the plastic bowl at her side, threw it in the box along with a spoon. 
I had already left some custard in the jug and she spotted it straight away and poured it out into the bowl.

She then picked up the metal table spoon and stirred the custard in the bowl. "Mix and mix, round and round" she said. "Ohhh you are mixing very well! What are you making?" "Cakes" she replied.

She continued to select the utencils and bowls around her and began scooping the custard up and filling the jug. She then emptied the jug into the culinder.

She really enjoyed scooping......


....... filling and pouring!

Learning:

- Fine Motor Skills
- Experimenting
-Filling and Emptying Containers
- Exploring texture using the senses
- Confidence
- Cause and Effect

Extension:

I am going to repeat this activity again exactly how we played today. I will use more custard mixture next time however to get a thicker consistency. In future custard play I may do a 'hide and seek' activity too where I hide objects for Little N to discover.




QuickEdit
Learning Through Play
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Amy] [img=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4sAIpNlzO2c/WEdHIxSvHJI/AAAAAAAAW1E/eq_b08PlYtsgP3Eb-WjGz6iJDcRoz7F3gCK4B/s1600/learning%2Band%2Bexploring%2Bpic.png] [description=Hello!!] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/learningandexploringthroughplay) (twitter=https://twitter.com/amylouise867) (instagram=https://instagram.com/learningthroughplay8/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/learningviaplay/)

Follow @learningthroughplay8